
Last week I had some family over from Australia (No, Im not Australian, do the math). I was having a conversation with my cousin about the economy when she raised a very important point: "I reckon U.S. money is bloody ugly looking, ey?" I definitely had to agree with her. Here's the thing about US money, they are barely starting to add a splash of color to the currency. Guatemalan Quetzales are way nicer with the national bird printed on it and gives a little display of spatial illusion. U.S. money is just plain flat and green. Yes, its beautifully illustrated and nicely crafted but so is everything else...
Then my cousin showed me Australian currency... and that's when it hit me. The world's most powerful country may also have the worlds most poorly designed currency. After examining the bills you can see and feel that the quality is even better. US bills are made from a cotton and linen blend, which means they can easily be ripped. Again, its green and flat and the typography is a little too much for a dollar bill. Australian currency is made from a synthetic material that is extremely difficult to rip. Plus, when you hold it it feels really cool... and expensive. You really don't get a kick out of holding a $100 bill like that anymore. I was a little to struck by the material and color to really focus on the typography, though. There was also a small detail that probably makes the Australian currency so unique. On one corner, the bill had a small icon that was printed on a transparency. The transparency in the bill was outlined in white.
That being said, I think this class is doing a project where we have to design new U.S currency. After seeing the Australian bills, I'm not sure if I'll be able to design something that will satisfy me...
6 comments:
The money is gorgeous! Thanks for showin/sharin'.
I definetely aggree with your input. U.S currency though, is the most stable currency in the world. I noticed very little color in our currency improvements I seen.You see gradual larger image of the presidents That is the only My country Nicaragua even has more colorful and interesting designs.
It's interesting to see other currency designs. The United States dollar bills are boring and monochromatic, but smell good. The U.S treasury should definitely change the design and put Michael Jackson on the $100 bill. That would be interesting.
I didn't really look at money, but since you blogged about it--I have to agree with you and say that American money is really plain.--After reading the blog I looked at some pesos, and their so colorful.I think its time to add another color to the American green palette.
Australia has some of my favorite bills. The color and layout is far cooler than ours. I've been and they also have cooler coins then are, they ditch the aged portraits of white dudes and instead have interesting things such as kangaroos, flowers etc.
wow! i really love the money that you showed.... way nicer than US currency. I believe to design the new American will be very exciting. American currency not only unattractive, but also confusing because all the bills are the same size.... We really need to redesign our currency!!
Post a Comment