Monday, May 5, 2008

Great Book Idea (I hope)


When doing my research for the 3rd project for our 413 class, I wen ahead and visited the old trusty AIGA websites and dug through some 500 examples of book design. After looking at I don't know how many book covers, none of the gave me the inspiration or idea I needed for the book cover of the AIGA Business Ethics that was chosen as my historical document. I originally wantedf a 50s style vintage kind of book design that is inspired by cartoon characters such as the dude from the comic book "Blondie".

I figured this would have been a good exploration for what could be a great project. After thinking about it long and hard, i figuredit probably wasn't a good idea to use such a playful approach on such a document with so much value and honor (if there is anyone who hasn't read it,  I encourage you to do so). After digging through the archives I visited the AIGA medalists section and found a perfect image for my book cover: The AIGA medal that was designed by James Earle Frasier in 1920. I decided to use this image and digitally recreate the image using only the letters a, i, and g. I think this would be a very effective way to get the idea of what the book will be about.

My next challenge is seeing what kind of binding and finishing options I can get away with. Not to mention the grid I'll be using for the book as well as the entire construction of the book. I think I got aheat of myself for a minute. With only three weeks (maybe less) I would consider myself lucky if I can come up with and an embossing or spot UV finish.

No comments: