Monday, September 29, 2008

Art 408 Movie Poster Design for 25 Years of AIGA in Los Angeles

When brainstorming for our first Art 408 project, I drew up a couple of conepts of how I can tie 25 years of AIGA with some of the characteristics of the city of Los Angeles. I found it interesting when Jimmy Moss, my professor at Cal-State LA for Art 408, mentioned that none of us mentioned entertainmet as an important factor of design in Los Angeles. I took this feeback to heart and figured that it would be a perfect combination of great design and characteristics of Los Angeles. Los Angeles is after all the entertainment capitol of the world. My top designers who will be honored in this project, however, are not known for their movie advertisements. 

One of the ideas that I have for this project is a full color poster honoring 4 designers who made a significant contribution to the city of Los Angeles. The poster will have a movie feel to it. I was thinking going along the ines of a typographic approach, with inspiration coming from the film "The Departed". Agustin Garza, Deborah Sussman, Ed Fella, and Dvid Cross will be the designers that will be presented on the poster. The portraits of these folks will be set in black and white to add a dramatic effect similar ot a mob movie. More details to come after receiving feedback from my professor and classmates...

5 comments:

Kevin said...

That actually sounds like a pretty sweet idea. After Googling what The Departed's poster looked like, I was excited to see what your translation of that might be. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting and different idea. Once you finish the poster, put it here so we can see how it turned out.

Scarlet Juliette said...

I like this idea you developed. Especially emphasizing strong graphic designer throughout the years. Would like to see your work in progress. Hope you post them.

Jennifer Oh said...

I liked the way your poster turned out (unfortunate thing about the color tho). Why don't you save for web and put it up on your blog?

Mujer Sin Cabeza said...

I really enjoyed the poster and your concept. I would be surprised if these four amazing designers didn't think that this "gangster movie poster" was anything but a great compliment. You should really post a picture so that we can enjoy it's true creative.