
I am a big watch fanatic. Among truly great product design, time pieces are almost at the top of my list next to autombiles and architecture. However, I am a bit conflicted with the trends these days with some of the watches that are out there. Nixon, a huge brand among "trendsetters" and pop culture has boomed over the last couple of years with their very innovative designs (left image). The question is, how long will they last? Sure they kick-butt with their non-traditional designs and bold colors, but going down the road, they may not be as cool. Trends, in my opinion, tend to cycle themselves back and forth. Currently, our generation (not Jimmy, my Art 408 professor at Cal-State LA) is in a point in fashion where have definitely mashed up all kinds of key items from different periods, particularly the 80s. Sure a pair of Ray Ban Waferers are cool now, but back in 2003, they were either old-yuppy or modern douche bag. Nixon seems to be selling best in that direction.The point is, I have the upmost respect for watch manufacturers because there are so many different watches out there, and a huge amount of them have designs like no other. Nixon has definitely taken a step forward in the market, but it still cannot phase the quality and timeless design of a Bell and Ross (right), Patek Phillipe, Tag Hueuer or an Omega (my personal favorite; I have a Snoopy edition!). Let's hope Nixon takes a step backward and designs something really strong and classy, not just a flashy fad.
6 comments:
Those watches do look cool.. but I agree, they'll be out of style so fast. These relatively new and "hip" watches look old to me; I feel like I've seen stuff like this come out in the Asian fashion scene a lot sooner than we've had them. Personally, even though I don't wear watches often, I like the more classic look. If only I could get my hands on a Cartier! Hahaha
Cartier for sure! I don't think I can even afford to say the name. I've seen this pink gold one with the ff meta typeface for the numers along with some crazy swirled engraving. Man, that ones awesome. And only $35,000.
Those are some pretty marvolous watches. I especially am intrigued with the black one.The craftsman ship on that one is impressive due to the detail of the face.
The black one is the one I liked because of its look, but I guess it'll be hard to see the time in terms of its darkness.
Can you imagine designing for all your favorite accessories like watches and shoes? I'd be itching for an internship like that, like the one you mentioned about Nike.
Anyway, yeah you have to save your work as "Save for Web and Devices." Then it'll upload on Blogger.
The black watch is definitely my favorite. The color and circles within the face remind me of the gauges on the dashboards of automobiles. The background of the face looks like carbon fiber which is popular on most street race cars. The bright colors used on the watches in the first photo remind me of the popular Swatch watches of the 80s.
Trendy isn't always a bad thing for a company; so long as they are able to stay one step ahead of the trends. That is often hard to do.
Post a Comment