Sunday, June 1, 2008

PDF Portfolio Tips

I just wanted to share some of my tricks on how I got to finish my portfolio for Jimmy's class. I have the preliminary portfolio complete... but there might be just a couple of changes that I need to do to the text... Its pretty short and simple. Just 8 pieces of my best work with descriptions of what approach I used to make it a succesful design. I found some small typos that I have to adjust and that's about it. My biggest concern is that it might be too simple. But I think I'll be okay.

Anyway, as far as text goes, I basically built a grid system for the layout that indicates exactly where the text will begin. In my portfolio I used to sets of text. I have a colophon for each project on the bottom left as well as a detailed description of the project on the top right. My images were all aligned to the left margin of the page not exceeding either 5.75" in length or width. All text is algined to the left and top of the images. The look is very uniform and clean, and I am pretty happy with the results. There is a very consistent look and feel, and I chose to keep the text small so that it wouldn't overwhlem the images. some of the images were photographed, but others looked better as placed files. My photographs look fairly professional. I actually took the photos on my couch with a large piece of black butcher paper and a digital camera. I just made sure I adjusted the levels on photoshop. Anyway, if any of you guys may be stuck, I hope these quick tips may help you out. Good Luck!

No comments: